Work from home is very convenient but requires a high level of discipline. If I don't have it, then all the temptations take over
As for the work discipline, like I said once or twice already, I am not worried for how things work in Germany. My former boss ordered a machine and paid for it in August. The delivery/pickup from the factory was scheduled for, I think, 8th of December that year, with the timeframe for pickup of only 2 hours. When our truck came to Ammerbuch (near Stuttgart), machine was packed, documents ready. After 5 minutes of work, the truck was on the move again. It's not a surprise that the tiny company from rural Germany grew that big that today they produce and deliver, on average, between 2 and 4 machines every single day, each worth between 25 to over 80,000 EUR.
Once, on Monday morning, a critically important machine part failed. The DHL could deliver it to us, but not in less than 4 to 5 days. That same evening I was on the plane to Frankfurt. Tuesday, 6AM, on the ICE to Stuttgart. Before noon, I picked the part, returned to Frankfurt. Next morning, I was on the plane back to Nigeria. On that Wednesday evening, machine was once again up and running. But, to achieve that, some careful planning on my end was required, and, even more important, the airlines, train companies and my supplier had to do what they promised, and exactly ON TIME.
A year later, I requested a proposal from company located near Rome, Italy. Proposal not for a pack pf printer paper, but for a machine worth some EUR 25k. Till today the proposal didn't arrive. Only after 2 phone calls we discovered that they do not have that particular mode in stock (but they have a similar one). So why wasting my and their time, it would be a good business practice to communicate with the client no matter what.
Oh, and a funny anecdote:
Year later, me and my coworker were flying through Munich airport. Early morning, around 6AM... Bars at the airport just opening, my friend wanted coffee. The only bar that was open at tha time, we saw a bar tender so he asked for coffee, without specifying which kind of coffee he wants. Man was very grumpy, and kinda angrily asked WHICH KIND OF COFFEE. So I decided to remain calm and since my English was better than friend's, I asked what the issue is, politely. Then the man explained which types of coffee they have. He was still upset over I have no idea what. Maybe for having to wake up at 4 to be at work at 5:30 or something, but that is not our fault, isn't it? Eh, the point is, that was my ONLY experience (in Germany) with that kind of attitude toward customer. But, judging by the name plate tht man had, he was from Greece, not local. Everyone else, from the bartenders, to sales girls, to police etc... was quite nice. When we first ask if they speak English (since we don't speak German), they would either switch to English or first answer "a little bit" (and these would usually speak the best English, hahaha).
Next time I will blab about my experience in France
